Wade's Bridge crosses the River Tay on the north west side of Aberfeldy on the Weem/Kenmore road. It is one of over 40 bridges built in the Highlands between 1726 and 1735 as part of General Wade's 402 km of road construction 'for securing a safe and easy communication between the highlands and the trading towns of the low country' as the inscription on the bridge reads.
Built in 1733 to a design by William Adam, it is a 5 span bridge, 112m long and 4.5m wide, hump backed with a broad central arch with raised parapet and 4 obelisks.
The chlorite schist for its construction was quarried locally and it took 2 years to prepare the stones which were all dressed, marked and numbered at the quarry.
At the time of its construction, it was the only bridge spanning the Tay - earlier bridges at Perth and Dunkeld had been destroyed.