Comrie is a small L-plan towerhouse that stands near a small bridge on the south bank of the River Lyon, ½ a mile before it flows into the River Tay. Originally the seat of the Menzies family, the original castle burnt down in 1487 and the family relocated first to the 'Place of Weem', which itself burnt down in 1502. The family then moved to Castle Menzies, a few miles further down the valley. Around 1600, Comrie was rebuilt and subsequently occupied by junior branches of the family. It was finally abandoned in 1748. This castle is in a private garden.
Picture copyright Gordon Hatton and licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence.