Located on the edge of Rannoch Moor, one of the last remaining wildernesses in Europe, Rannoch Railway Station is situated on the West Highland Railway Line and links Glasgow and Fort William. Covering a distance of 101 miles from the Firth of Clyde to Fort William, this is the longest stretch of railway to be constructed at one time. It was also one of the most challenging. Work started in 1889 and took 5,000 men, 5 years to construct on top of a floating causeway of brushwood over Rannoch Moor.
The station is surrounded by some of the most majestic and awe inspiring scenery. To the north, past Rannoch Forest, the open, desolate landscape of Ben Alder Forest, to the south the Glen Lyon hills, to the east Schiehallion, the ‘Fairy Hill of the Caledonians’ and to the west, the mountains of Glencoe.
Picture copyright Richard Slessor and licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence.