Loch Tummel is approximately 7 miles long from east to west, and is ½ mile wide. It became part of the Tummel Hydro-Electric Power Scheme when the Clunie Dam was constructed by Wimpey Construction at its eastern end in 1950, raising the water level by 4.5 metres. The loch is traversed by roads on both north and south banks, offering splendid views of the surrounding countryside, especially the South Side of Loch Tummel
. The best view is probably the well-known Queen's View
on the north shore, which Queen Victoria made famous in 1866, offering a magnificent vista over the loch with Schiehallion
in the background. It is also claimed that the view was originally named after Queen Isabel, wife of Robert the Bruce.
Above the head of the loch, Tummel Bridge crossing the River Tummel actually has two bridges. The original bridge built by General Wade in 1730 has a modern replacement alongside carrying the traffic from Aberfeldy. Notable visitors who have stayed in this area include Mendelssohn and Swinburne. The northern side of the loch has many duns, forts and cairn circles. At the eastern end, high in Glen Fincastle to the north, sits Fincastle House, a 17th-century seat of a branch of the Stewarts, with links to the 1745 rebellion. At the head of the glen are the standing stones of Clachan Aoraidh in the Allean Forest
, the forest offers a number of waymarked walking and cycling routes, providing magnificent views of Loch Tummel and the surrounding countryside, with plenty of historical and wildlife interest along the way
The area around the River Tummel and Loch Tummel is known as Strathtummel and is one of the most beautiful parts of Perthshire's Big Tree Country
, with ever changing colours throughout the seasons and a great choice of walks, cycle routes and places to relax.
To get closer to the loch, a leisurely cycle along the quiet, scenic south shore road is worthwhile. Summer sees many campsites along the shores of Loch Tummel.