The railway line linking Pitlochry with Dunkeld was opened in 1863 and the benefits of becoming a railway town quickly put Pitlochry on the tourist map. The station was built in 1883 by local builders, Stuart Forbes and Jameson, at a cost of £504.00.
It is constructed in the Scottish Tudor style and has many attractive features such as tall chimney stacks, a terracotta roof and a number of finials, the thistle and rose amongst them. A small niche in the wall of the main building was once the home of a brass bell that was used to notify passengers of the arrival of a train.
Other features include a wooden goods shed, lattice girder footbridge and a typical Highland Railway signal box. The wooden pavilion on the site opposite the main building is home to an interesting art project by local school children.
In the past well known people who have arrived in Pitlochry by train include the author Robert Louis Stevenson, the classical scholar Prof. John Stuart Blackie and William Ewart Gladstone, the Victorian politician.