Amulree Church was built between 1743 and 1752 and remodelled in 1882 by John Douglas of Edinburgh who was also responsible for ‘Palladianising ‘ Blair Castle (1736) and designing Taymouth Castle (1746). It is built to a simple design, with a vaulted ceiling, carved oak pulpit with matching carved ‘table’ and spacious windows; it also has both a bellcote and a weathervane.
The Amulree church bell was cast in 1519 in Belgium by William van den Ghein who also made the bell for Henry VIII’s warship, the Mary Rose.
The church contains copies of the records of the large number of local people who emigrated en-mass, mostly to North Easthope, Canada, in the early 19th Century. The graveyard contains some interesting, many of which carved with the symbols of mortality often found on Scottish gravestones in the past.
Picture copyright Russel Wills and licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence.