The Atholl Monument (or Cnoc-na-Croiche) was erected on a site formerly known as ‘Gallows Knoll’ as, until 1746 when local courts had their powers removed, it was where prisoners were executed following sentence at Logierait Court.
The large Celtic cross was erected in 1865 by the tenants of the Atholl estates in memory of George Augustus Frederick John Murray, the 6th Duke of Atholl, who had died the previous year.
The inscription reads:
“They had lost a good and kind friend ….
A good landlord, faithful husband, an affectionate father and a true friend”.
It is a fitting tribute to a Grand Master of the Masonic Lodge in Scotland who, as part of his duties, laid many foundation stones at various buildings and structures as a prominent public duty.