Special Places

Pitlochry Suspension Bridge

The Tummel Suspension Bridge, which was open by Kitty, Marchioness of Tullibardine (later Duchess of Atholl) on Empire Day 1913, was built to replace the Port na Craig ferry which had crossed the river since the 12th century and links the town of Pitlochry to the hamlet of Port-na-Craig. The bridge is constructed of lattice girder pylons and rope cables. A close examination of the steelwork shows that it was manufactured by the Lanarkshire Steel Company using the Seimans Martin Process. It cost £850 and was funded by public subscription and a grant of £250 from the Highland District Committee. 

The suspension bridge is used by walkers following the 79 mile Rob Roy Way on its way into Pitlochry.


Printed Information:

Nearest Town: Pitlochry
Nearest Postcode: PH16 5DZ

Local Tourism Association
Find this place on this path...

Creator's Website/Facebook Page

This entry was added by: Highland Perthshire Limited